#226 – Dream Sight with Jane Teresa Anderson

Transcript

Jane Teresa Anderson is the author of six books including Dream Alchemy and 101 Dream Interpretation Tips, a regular guest on Australian television, and an accomplished radio dream talk-back expert, interpreting callers’ dreams on more than 1,500 shows. She also hosts her own weekly podcast series, The Dream Show.

Jane Teresa has a BSc Honours degree in Zoology specialising in neurophysiology from the University of Glasgow. Jane Teresa reports she has been researching dreams since 1992, and developing and teaching exercises that shift perspective and transform unconscious limiting beliefs.

As a dream analyst, Jane Teresa says she is able to reveal a dreamer’s unconscious mindset and show how this is affecting the dreamer’s waking life. She goes on to create exercises based on this insight to help transform the dreamer’s mindset for more enriching outcomes.

A psychology podcast by David Van Nuys, Ph.D.

Play

12 Comments

1. Posted December 20, 2009 at 12:26 am | Permalink

I really enjoyed that show, especially as Ms Anderson commented on the dream of one of my clients. I am impressed by Ms Anderson’s ability to analyse on air and I thank her for pointing at some completely new aspects of the dream.

2. John Knight
    Posted December 22, 2009 at 9:16 am | Permalink

G’day Dave,

I’m not sure if I’m off the mark here, but I had the intuitive feeling when hearing your skiing dream that it was also in reference to psychology itself; surfing through the mind. The rough stones made me think of contents of the unconscious (much like rough seas are a common symbol for this), and that you were learning your way through something that usually seems un-doable.

Hope that doesn’t sound like I’m disagreeing with Jane though, I’m not. :) I think there are often many amplifications to these things. Great to see Jane on the podcast, I’ve seen her on the telly here in Oz. :)

Cheers!

3. Posted December 22, 2009 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Hi John,

I don’t have a problem at all with your spin on the dream. I can definitely see that as one angle on it that fits.

David

4. Russ
    Posted December 24, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Hi Dr. Dave,

While I enjoyed the show, I too am very skeptical that any real meaning can be extracted from dreams without having an extensive understanding of the dreamer’s life story and, just as importantly if the person is in therapy, where the person is in their therapy.

Moreover, for someone who is dealing with really serious unconscious conflicts resulting in really serious symptoms, I don’t think offering casual dream interpretations without a thorough understanding of that person’s experience is at all responsible.

Best,
    Russ

5. Posted December 24, 2009 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

You raise a good point, here, Russ. I have the feeling that Jane Teresa would refer out to a professional if she sensed the person needed it.

David

6. Bob Horvath
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 3:18 am | Permalink

Dr. Dave, I thoroughly enjoyed this show. I think that Jane Teresa has an exceptional ability to bring out meaning of dream symbols and events, even under the very challenging and less-than-ideal situation of not being able to ask questions of the dreamer.

7. Posted December 29, 2009 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Bob, I agree! And, thanks so much for offering to transcribe this interview!

David

8. Gloria
    Posted January 2, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

Hi David, I so enjoyed hearing Jane on your show. I am a big fan of both!

I had the great good fortune of being a participant on Jane’s now extinct web forum for a few years and it was truly life changing and life saving for me. At the time I was going through what in retrospect was the worst time of my life.

I had several private sessions by phone with Jane to untangle particularly distressing dreams relating to very deep childhood trauma and I can attest to her compassionate and insightful therapeutic strategies.

I have been to several professional therapists over the years and nothing touched the work I did with her both in person and via the forum with my dreams.

So, I would like to put to rest any concerns about Jane’s work being unprofessional. I have since spent 3 years as part of a monthly dream group with a professonal psychologist specialising in dream work and have also participated in several dream workshops with Jungian analysts. As fantastic as they all have been, Jane gets my #1 vote.

I had a podcast session with her – #19.

9. Jennifer
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Hi Dr. Dave,

I am very happy that I listened to this podcast!
    I have been extremely reluctant to consider dreams…and now I feel less afraid. Thanks.

A comment on your rock dream, if i may.
    i recall that you wanted, very early on, to be
    a writer ….and this did not go as you wanted
    or hoped. My immediate thought was that
    your dream may be related??

Best in the new year,
    Jennifer

10. Posted January 8, 2010 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Hi Jennifer,

I’m not seeing the connection between my rock dream and wanting to be a writer. What’s the connection that you see?

David

11. Jennifer
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 11:06 am | Permalink

David,

Perhaps the rocks represent a burden that you
    have been carrying for a long time, related to
    things that you have left undone or not done
    to your satisfaction. The dream might be about
    reconciliation??

Jennifer

12. Posted January 8, 2010 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Jennifer,

Thanks for the additional clarification. I’m afraid your interpretation just doesn’t fit for me. In my dream, I’m skiing freely over the rocks. They present no obstacle. I have a joyous, expansive feeling. Actually, I decided to let go of the “must be a writer” obsession some time back and have felt freer ever since. So maybe it does relate in that way. :-)

Thanks,